[lug] "Squashing" users in wu-ftp

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Sun Oct 12 00:55:50 MDT 2003

Hey all--

One of the (many) cool features of Samba and NFS is the ability to
"squash" users to a specific user/group on the filesystem.  For
example, I can configure a Samba mount point so everyone who connects
will behave (on the server) as if they were, for example, the 'nobody'
user.  All files they create will be owned by nobody, and everyone will
be able to read and write everyone else's things because they're all
the same user to the server.

I'd like to do the same thing with FTP.  I'm using wu-ftpd (please, no
flame wars) and don't see any such option.  I'd like to have a whole
set of users who, when they login, are treated by the server as if they
were the 'nobody' user.

This would be immensely useful because I'm providing web access (using
PHP) to the same area, and because Apache is running as 'nobody' I'd
like everything to be consistent so web users can modify the same files
that FTP users see, and vice versa.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Jeff