[lug] building 2.6 and wireless

Ken Weinert mc at quarter-flash.com
Sun Oct 12 10:49:53 MDT 2003

I'm attempting to build 2.6.0-test7 for my laptop and it appears to be
working except for one small issue - wireless.

I have an IBM R32 laptop with an Agere Systems mini-pci card. I had
been using the orinico_cs driver until last Thursday when it was
pointed out that I could/should be using the wavelan_cs module (thanks
Jonathon :)

Here's my dilemma: when booting up I get a message that there are no
drivers for eth1. Fair enough, I grab the updated pcmcia package
(3.2.5) as that's what I needed to do on the previousl 2.4 kernel. The
'make config' command for pcmcia leaves the message that since pcmcia
is built into the kernel it won't produce any drivers.

The Documentation/networking/wavelan_cs document in the kernel tree
says that this driver is not yet in the kernel. There is an option for
wavelan_cs, but I wasn't sure if I could/should use it because of the
word "old" in the description.

As I see it, I have two choices: 1) unconfig pcmcia in the kernel and
use the pcmcia package, or 2) unconfig hermes in the kernel, config
wavelan in the kernel, and just use the pcmcia tools.

Any suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

   .--.     Ken Weinert   Ken.Weinert at ihs.com
  |o_o |
  ||_/ |    303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
 //   \ \
(|     | )  GnuPG: 9274F1CE  GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
\___)=(___/ 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...