[lug] "Squashing" users in wu-ftp

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Oct 13 16:43:45 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 17:08, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> George wrote:
>
> > You realize that means every user would be able to edit every other
> > users information? It would be better to not do this, but to make the
> > directorys SETGID.
>
> This is a protected "download area", not individual users' home
> directories... basically I just want to allow a large number of people
> to all FTP into a certain area-- using DIFFERENT logins and passwords--
> and have the ability to change, replace, and add files in there.  Think
> of it as an FTP guest account, but not just anyone can use it.
>
> Is this possible with setuid/setgid?
>
> Jeff

You can sort of get something similar with 3770 perms on the directories
and all users in the same group.  It won't set the permissions
appropriately, but you could run a cronjob to change them periodically.
If you want people to be able to delete files that they didn't create,
then you would want 2770 on the dirs.

FWIW,

Hugh