[lug] 'we have met the enemy, and he is us'

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Oct 15 07:28:39 MDT 2003

bill ehlert said:

> "Linux continues to face challenges
> from all sides: Microsoft still

'Cause only a "polished" commercial app would word wrap in such a lovely
manner.

But seriously, your thesis is predicated on the idea that success is
measured by the Free Software community in the same sort of market terms
by which proprietary software companies measure it.

I don't enjoy dependency problems any more than the next guy, but I am
generally pretty happy with my GNU/Linux desktop.  The flip side of the
coin is that I don't think I'd be as happy if a bunch of "polishing"
happened to make it palatable to the general consumer market.

Of course folks are welcome to use Free Software as they see fit.  Good
luck to Sun with Mad Hatter.  But desktop market share doesn't really
matter to me much.

-Peter