[lug] man pages in different distros

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 15 15:50:35 MDT 2003

Are the man pages throughout the various distributions consistent or do
they vary in content?  This came up the other day when a colleague was
getting some programs to run on a RH box.  He was having some trouble
getting sort to work right and came in my office complaining about the
lame sort man page when compared to the DEC sort man page.  I have to
agree that the DEC man page had way more info and examples than the
Linux man page.  I went to the meeting the other night and forgot to ask
about this.

On sort...  My colleague was having trouble with the --key option.  We
got it working, but I'm wondering if there is a typo in the man page?
If I understand these things, the square brackets indicate optional
arguments, but in the description of --key the left bracket is
highlighted as if it's required.  To get it working we gave sort the
following argument <-k4n,4n>.  It didn't work with just <-k4n>.  Seemed
kind of strange to me since the second argument I believe is optional.

Gary