[lug] 'we have met the enemy, and he is us'

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Oct 16 20:32:10 MDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 06:50:37PM -0700, bill ehlert wrote:
> > But seriously, your thesis is predicated on the
> > idea that success is
> > measured by the Free Software community in the
> > same sort of market terms
> > by which proprietary software companies measure
> > it.
>
> **  i'm concerned that open source
>     software, if it fails to gain a
>     somewhat larger share of the various
>     segments of the s/w market, will
>     become marginal and trivial.
>
>     i'd really hate to see that.
>
>     to gain share, it's gotta get
>     to be a little easier to install
>     and use.

Have been hearing that since I started using Linux in the early 90's.
Yet every year more and more people find it fits their needs.

As Linus said recently, he's not trying to compete with Microsoft or
kill Windows, that'll just be a side-effect.  :-)

Open-source is modifyable by anyone using it.  That's the key.  If it
doesn't do something you like, change it, modify it, play with it.

Free Software will never be trivialized as long as it does something
useful for someone.  Right now for me personally Free Software fills
about 90% of what I would like/need my computers to do!  Whoo hoo!

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>