[lug] 'we have met the enemy, and he is us'

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Thu Oct 16 22:06:07 MDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 06:50:37PM -0700, bill ehlert wrote:

> --- Peter Hutnick <peter-lists at hutnick.com>
> wrote:
>
>     . . .
>
> > But seriously, your thesis is predicated on the
> > idea that success is
> > measured by the Free Software community in the
> > same sort of market terms
> > by which proprietary software companies measure
> > it.
>
> **  i'm concerned that open source
>     software, if it fails to gain a
>     somewhat larger share of the various
>     segments of the s/w market, will
>     become marginal and trivial.

Open source and Free software may always be
marginal, in the sense that the vast majority
of marketing flacks have no understanding of it,
but it is certainly not trivial, and could never
become trivial in any meaningful sense of the
word 'trivial'.

>     i'd really hate to see that.
>
>     to gain share, it's gotta get
>     to be a little easier to install
>     and use.

Market share should be measured in dollar revenue.
Now it is zero. At the start of the movement it
was zero. Market share for Free software is
remarkably stable over time, and should not be a
cause for worry.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com