[lug] Retrieval of email via http(s)

Grep Ergo Sum - I grep therefore I am dwh at surfingpenguin.com
Sun Oct 19 18:18:20 MDT 2003

Fellow followers of the flightless Antarctic Bird,

   I guess I just don't get out much.  This was a new one on me.
Somebody mentioned to me about not using Evolution because it couldn't
retrieve email from hotmail.  I'm familiar with POP and IMAP and the use
of browsers to retrieve email.  Pretty straightforward.  Microsoft
LookOut has a feature, apparently, that can retrieve email via http.  I
don't do much with Microsoft and even less with Outlook, so I lost my
footing on this one.

   I googled (verb, intransitive) a bit, and it exists, but I can't find
much on the inner workings of it.   Apparently, you can get POP access
for a price, but the http access is free.

   Can somebody give me the Readers' Digest version of what this http
access is all about, how it works, and whether it's worth writing an
extension to Evolution to do it?

                                 thanks,
                                        Dave
Dave Hagerty
... and they that weave networks, shall be confounded.
Isaiah 19:9 (KJV)

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it
said 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux."

"There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the
credit." - George C. Marshall