[lug] Retrieval of email via http(s)

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Mon Oct 20 02:26:12 MDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 06:18:20PM -0600, Grep Ergo Sum - I grep therefore I am wrote:
> Fellow followers of the flightless Antarctic Bird,

Moep,

>    I guess I just don't get out much.  This was a new one on me.
> Somebody mentioned to me about not using Evolution because it couldn't
> retrieve email from hotmail.  I'm familiar with POP and IMAP and the use
> of browsers to retrieve email.  Pretty straightforward.  Microsoft
> LookOut has a feature, apparently, that can retrieve email via http.  I
> don't do much with Microsoft and even less with Outlook, so I lost my
> footing on this one.
>
>    I googled (verb, intransitive) a bit, and it exists, but I can't find
> much on the inner workings of it.   Apparently, you can get POP access
> for a price, but the http access is free.
>
>    Can somebody give me the Readers' Digest version of what this http
> access is all about, how it works, and whether it's worth writing an
> extension to Evolution to do it?

I'm not too familiar with Microsoft products as well, but as far as  i
know they use WebDAV (an extension to the HTTProtocol [1]) to access mail
on the server. It should [2] be trivial to write an extension for evolution ....

Ralf Mattes

[1] RFC 2518/3253, more info on www.webdav.org - there you'll also find a
    link to libneon, a library providing a  WebDAV client api.

[2] Unfortunately, MicroSoft has kind of a history of problems with their
    WebDAV support. Problems with MS explorer/network folders are showing
    up allmost daily on the apache webdav mailing list.

P.S.: Sorry for the short reply, but my keyboard is failing ....