[lug] Installing Redhat on Removable Device

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Oct 21 12:26:50 MDT 2003

I did this many years ago with a ZIP drive.  What I had to do was
install Red Hat on the hard disk and copy the installation to the ZIP,
change the fstab and bootloader configuration (LILO at the time), and
install the bootloader on the ZIP disk.  It worked.

USB is going to be different because you need to make sure the USB
modules are installed in the initrd, and loaded during the boot
process.  I'm not sure the boot loader knows how to do this.  You might
try adding "alias scsi_hostadapter usb-storage" to your
/etc/modules.conf and see if that works.

-Rob