[lug] Problems migrating from Samba 2.x to 3.x

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Oct 21 18:52:48 MDT 2003

Bear Giles wrote:
> Has anyone else migrated from Samba 2.x to 3.x?  My Windows box could
> authenticate to 2.x, but not 3.x, and that's a problem when you
> installed Office to the Samba drive.

I did this, had the same problem.  Wasn't too hard to fix, but I don't
have the config handy.  I remember something about the domain admin
group param going away (maybe samba wouldn't start with that in the
config?) and 3.x providing unicode support.  You can read through this
for more details:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/html/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#migration

Do you get any errors in the samba logs?  What does the client say when
the login fails (I assume your samba box is a PDC)?

If you don't get any better answers soon I can check the config I used.

Dave