[lug] USB Drive Suggestions - Was "Installing Redhat on a removable device"

Daniel Miller dan.miller at usu.edu
Tue Oct 21 15:53:48 MDT 2003

> Hi all,
>
> We are trying to install Redhat 9.0 on a USB drive (the
> point is to have Linux installed on a drive that can be
> shared between machines at the office and at home).
>
> Booting from a USB device is not a problem--the BIOS does
> support this.
>
> The problem is that the Redhat installer does not seem to
> pick up the USB drive (when it comes time to partition and
> format the disk).
>
> Has anyone done this successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> -d

Sorry, this isn't really an answer to your question.  I'm in
need of a USB drive that works with the Linux drivers
already found in the kernel.  I was just curious what
hardware you were using.  Is it supported with the default
USB drivers found in the kernel?

Anybody else have any recommendations for USB drives that
work with Linux?

Thanks

Daniel Miller