[lug] cdrecord with KRUD9

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 27 15:36:30 MST 2003

I'm having some trouble with cdrecord for regular users after my jump to
KRUD9 from RH7.2.  The notes section at the end of "man cdrecord"
suggest installing cdrecord as SUID root.  I think I have done this

[root at space bin]# ls -l cdrecord
-rwsr-x---    1 root     disk       333603 May 12 18:34 cdrecord

but I'm still getting the following warnings when I run cdrecord:

cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.

If I let it continue it will create the CD, but I didn't used to get
these warnings.  The group disk exists and I have put myself in that
group.  I played around with this a week ago and today, trying different
permissions and omnerships.  Nothing I tried seemed to make any
difference.  Here are the current permissions and ownerships of
/dev/cdrom1 and /dev/scd1

[hodges at space hodges]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Sep 16 14:19 /dev/cdrom1 ->
/dev/scd1
[hodges at space hodges]$ ls -l /dev/scd1
brw-r-----    1 root     disk      11,   1 Jan 30  2003 /dev/scd1

Gary