[lug] cdrecord with KRUD9

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 27 16:15:42 MST 2003

Richard H. Fifarek wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Gary Hodges wrote:
>

>>The group disk exists and I have put myself in that group.  I played
>>around with this a week ago and today, trying different permissions and
>>omnerships.
>

> Is the disk group your default group?  If not, you'll need to execute
> newgrp disk before running the command.

Yes, disk is a default group.

I've been doing some more google searching, this time on "WARNING:
Cannot set RR-scheduler" and found some things...

--------------
"I now understand that a bug report has already been filed. According to
one of the comments, the author of cdrecord has mentioned that you can
safely ignore this warning, since cdrecord is actually _lowering_ it's
privileges (I don't understand the warning, then). The problem is that
cdrecord drops root privileges before trying to do this, hence the
warning message."
"When cdrecord is run suid root it will work.  However, it won't have
access to the function setpriority() listed below.  If you want to do
away with those errors, you will have to run cdrecord as root (ex: sudo
cdrecord)"

Its starting to look like I will have to put up with the warnings if I
want to run as a regular user.

Cheers,
Gary