[lug] Modems are Evil

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Oct 29 15:08:30 MST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 04:43:30PM -0600, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>every PCI modem out there is a winmodem.  Not that all winmodems are
>completely unsupported (www.linmodems.org); I've got a PcTel PCI modem

The Lucent winmodems actually work quite nicely.  Because they aren't
running a serial driver, they actually have lower latency than the
typical ISA or serial modem.  A couple of my previous laptops had
functioning LT Winmodems, and they worked great.

I ended up getting my mother a Multitech PCI modem, which IIRC just
worked out of the box under Red Hat.  I just had to know that it was
showing up on ttyS3 or something instead of needing the LT driver or the
like.

I believe that ActionTech also sells an ethernet connected modem, which
makes a lot of sense.  I'd consider that if I needed to get a new modem,
but mostly these days I just don't ever use modems.  Hotels are starting
to have ethernet and many places have wifi, and that combined with CDMA
just makes it pretty rare when I have to resort to letting two modems
sniff each-others butts in order to get connected to the net.  ;-)

Sean
--
 Hell hath no fury, like a file-system scorned.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/