[lug] Interesting news

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Tue Nov 4 11:10:58 MST 2003

Well there are a couple of things that need to be thought about.

1) Ferdinand is right.  Don't freak out. Being over reactive is being
over reactive.

2) Novell announced a long time ago that part of their strategy was to
have their technologies run on a Linux based server as opposed to one
running Novell.  This combination of technologies is potentially
compelling if priced right as a replacement for much of Microsoft's
networking product line.

So, I would guess that there will be two types of Linux from Novell- one
that has their special mojo, and the consumer oriented version that is
SuSE.

But, the other thing that this brings up is the opportunity to build yet
another distribution, get everyone to install it and IPO or sell the
company and get rich... or use Fedora or Debian.

I think that this is probably a good thing for Linux in some sense, but
the world isn't what it was when all this was new and fresh and free.

-Glenn Ashton