[lug] Interesting news

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Wed Nov 5 14:26:36 MST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:53:05AM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
> Jeffrey Brown wrote:
> >Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux
> >Technology Company SUSE LINUX
>
> Well, what the hell am I to think about this?  Here I am right on the
> cusp of getting everyone in my group behind SuSE because of their good
> distribution and business model that is well suited to our group.
>
> I'm just blindsided in a sense.  At the distribution meeting I wanted to
> make sure SuSE was not going to change their business model.  Repeatedly
> I was told that SuSE is a private company with no plans to go public.
> Now there are public since Novell is a public company.  OK, I'm not
> beating on anyone there because how could any of us have known about
> this deal.  But man, am I going to get everyone in my group on board and
> then in Jan 04 is there going to be an enterprise line?
>
> We are a small outfit.  We've gone from Red Hat to KRUD and are moving
> to SuSE all in the span of about four months.  We just want something ...

I'm curious about what is going on here. Obviously there is some business
consolidation in the Linux distributions market. I can see why users, such
as you, feel a need to switch from RH to KRUD. But why the switch from
KRUD to SuSE? What was the news that lead you to abandon Kevin so quickly?

I'm not questioning your judgement. I take for granted that you know
something.  But what is it that I've missed?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com