[lug] Interesting news

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 5 16:09:01 MST 2003

Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:53:05AM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
>
>>Jeffrey Brown wrote:
>>
>>>Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux
>>>Technology Company SUSE LINUX
>>
>>We are a small outfit.  We've gone from Red Hat to KRUD and are moving
>>to SuSE all in the span of about four months.  We just want something ...
>
> I'm curious about what is going on here. Obviously there is some business
> consolidation in the Linux distributions market. I can see why users, such
> as you, feel a need to switch from RH to KRUD. But why the switch from
> KRUD to SuSE? What was the news that lead you to abandon Kevin so quickly?
>
> I'm not questioning your judgement. I take for granted that you know
> something.  But what is it that I've missed?

 From all that I have read here and on krudusers, __I'm__ surmising that
KRUD will start tracking Fedora when RH9 ends in March/April.  From what
I understand about Fedora I don't think it will be a good choice for
_our_ group.  I just moments ago left a meeting Red Hat had here to
discuss RHEL and Fedora, and nothing was said different about Fedora
that hasn't been said here, e.g. it will have a short life span and
likely won't upgrade from one version to the next.  That won't work for
our lab.  If the tummy folks are able to develope a more stable, longer
supported, and upgradeable version of Fedora, then it would be an option.

With that in mind I wanted to find another distribution that would work
for us.  So far it looks like SuSE will do the job.  As we've seen,
things can change so I'll always stay open to other options, but for now
it looks like we're heading down the SuSE path.

Gary