[lug] quick OT: PCMCIA

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Thu Nov 6 13:36:38 MST 2003

luke p said:
> Hey,
> Is this laptop problem solveable?
> I have 2 PCMIA card slots, and two cards - which won't both fit in at
> the  same time - the ends are too thick - one is double USB 2 card with
> a  thickened end,

Is it "just a bit" too big, or does it neatly fill both slots?  For
historical reasons beyond me cards that take up one slot (or just a bit
more) are "type II" and cards that consume a pair of type II slots are
"type III."

> and the other is a wireless link (also thickened on
> the exposed end).

Is it designed so that it can sit in the top slot without interfering with
a card below?  This in, my experience (IME?), is typical of wireless
cards.

> There isn't by chance a card extension that could be used to move one of
> the  cards out so that they both fit?

I've never heard of such a thing, but that doesn't mean much.

If they are both type II cards and you are brave you can probably resolve
the issue with a dremel, a soldering iron and some epoxy.

If either is a type III card you will probably want to use them one at a
time.

-Peter