[lug] SCO vs. Hollywood (from /.)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Nov 10 01:07:28 MST 2003

There was some nice links on a prior article that show how well IBM's
slowly tearing down their house of cards in the pre-trial proceedings
(they're pointing out that SCO isn't providing a single shred of real
evidence that their claims are valid in the discovery phase of the
trial) and they're obviously hoping for a dismissal "with prejudice".

Of course, then the IBM counter-suit begins... and that'll be the really
fun part, from a purely spectator point of view.

Perhaps once the lawsuits are lost, the silly claims are proven to be
unfounded, and the company stock value tanks lower than it's ever been,
the shareholders will fire off some lawsuits of their own.  They'd
certainly be able to prove the execs mishandled the company at that
point.  THAT might be the time you'd want to be a shareholder, not
now... you'll just lose money on them right now, as they've got nowhere
to go but down...

Of course the problem with that is (like with most shareholder lawsuits)
that it's hard to squeeze blood from a turnip.  If SCO is bankrupt, down
and out by then -- perhaps these new and relatively recent laws that
allow the shareholders to go directly after the execs and their holdings
will be put to good use and SCO shareholders will get a chance to help
define a new level of forced executive responsibility in our country.

Things will definitely be interesting, even if this isn't the way it
plays out...

Nate, nate at natetech.com