[lug] Expect Script, $expect_out(buffer) question

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Wed Nov 12 15:23:19 MST 2003

Wael said:
> I am using $expect_out(buffer) to capure needed data.
> I noticed that the buffer size does not change and
> many times does not capture all data I need.
> Is there away to configure the size of buffer to a
> bigger size?
> If not, is there another way to achieve the above?

I have never used expect, but I typed "man expect[enter]/size[enter]" and
the following appeared on my screen:

   match_max [-d] [-i spawn_id] [size]
                defines  the  size  of  the  buffer (in bytes) used
   internally by expect.  With no size argument, the current size is
   returned. With the -d flag, the default size is set.  (The initial
   default is  2000.)  With the -i flag, the size is set for the named
   spawn id, otherwise it is set for the current process.

which seem relevant to your query.

Yours,
Peter "Email Interface to Man Pages" Hutnick