[lug] Too long to fix bugs?

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Wed Nov 12 15:32:17 MST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:39:46AM -0700, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> Any Microsoft comparison will need to be specific about what they are
> comparing to.  Right now they are mostly fighting RedHat and SuSE
> enterprise
> products.  I don't know about RH - but even the SuSE consumer updates
> arrive
> very quickly.  Most of the critical problems are fixed within the day.
> So
> those of us who are subscribed to the security announcements list get
> updates
> way quicker than I have every seen them from M$.
>
> Fedora is at this point a new project and can't be considered a valid
> candidate for this comparison.  We will need to give the Fedora folks
> at least
> a few months to get their project oiled and started.
>
> Ferdinand

Of course Fedora is quite new, and hasn't developed a record by which
it can be judged, but what I got out of the original message was that
M$ is trying to claim that Linux distributions in general are inferior
to Windoze in regard to bug fixes, and that this provides a reason for
customers to stick with Windoze. But could Fedora become so bad that
it drags down the whole of Linux to the point that it is worse than
Windoze? I really doubt that. Can you imagine reading some study of
Fedora that paints such an awful picture that you decide you better
switch from Linux to Windoze? Not likely!

Another question is how Fedora will compare with other more established
Linux distributions. I think a lot of us are interested in that. A lot
of us see pluses and minuses. Its fun to speculate.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com