[lug] Too long to fix bugs?

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.org
Wed Nov 12 15:35:40 MST 2003

I wonder if M$ has already discovered and is discovering new security
holes and developing fixes.. just not releasing them until someone
notices.  Pretty nefarious.

Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:39:46AM -0700, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>
>>Any Microsoft comparison will need to be specific about what they are
>>comparing to.  Right now they are mostly fighting RedHat and SuSE
>>enterprise
>>products.  I don't know about RH - but even the SuSE consumer updates
>>arrive
>>very quickly.  Most of the critical problems are fixed within the day.
>>So
>>those of us who are subscribed to the security announcements list get
>>updates
>>way quicker than I have every seen them from M$.
>>
>>Fedora is at this point a new project and can't be considered a valid
>>candidate for this comparison.  We will need to give the Fedora folks
>>at least
>>a few months to get their project oiled and started.
>>
>>Ferdinand
>

> Of course Fedora is quite new, and hasn't developed a record by which
> it can be judged, but what I got out of the original message was that
> M$ is trying to claim that Linux distributions in general are inferior
> to Windoze in regard to bug fixes, and that this provides a reason for
> customers to stick with Windoze. But could Fedora become so bad that
> it drags down the whole of Linux to the point that it is worse than
> Windoze? I really doubt that. Can you imagine reading some study of
> Fedora that paints such an awful picture that you decide you better
> switch from Linux to Windoze? Not likely!
>
> Another question is how Fedora will compare with other more established
> Linux distributions. I think a lot of us are interested in that. A lot
> of us see pluses and minuses. Its fun to speculate.

Michael R. Belanger                     http://www.ambientblue.org
Freedom through Chaos                   Yahoo!:  darthwonka
                                         MSN:     mrbelanger at hotmail.com
                                         Jabber:  mrb at jabber.ciclops.org

"Now, so you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far.
Every soul is worth saving, at least to a priest, but not every soul is
worth buying; so you can take the offer as a compliment."
                                             --William S. Burroughs