[lug] 3D Accel, SuSE v9.0

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 14 08:02:13 MST 2003

Gary Hodges wrote:

> I was playing around with a SuSE v9.0 install yesterday and ran into
> some video card config issues.  While exploring the system I noticed
> that the video card and monitor were not detected correctly during the
> install.  The installed card is a Matrox G450 and it was detected as a
> Matrox MGA G400 AGP.  Both the monitor and G450 were available choices
> in the YaST hardware settings and I went ahead and made the changes.
>
> After making the changes the screen was right shifted a bit.  While
> going into the YaST tool to fix the screen I also enabled 3D
> Acceleration.  At that point I got a message box that states all 3D
> drivers in Linux are experimental.  Since this card worked in 3D with
> RH 7.2 and with KRUD9 (maybe with some slight issues) I went ahead and
> enabled 3D Accel.
>
> After making the changes I was prompted to test the new config.  When
> I did the machine locked.  I couldn't even ping it, so I hit the reset
> switch.  3D was still enabled but the screen was still right shifted.
> I adjusted the screen with the YaST tool, tested the config, and the
> machine locked again.  OK, I wasn't going to let that get me again, so
> I went in and just turned off 3D Accel and saved the changes.  After
> restarting X I found 3D Accel to still be set.  I tried to turn it off
> a couple more times without luck.
>
> For kicks I decided to run the Repair System feature on the boot DVD.
> After going through the tests it said I needed something called (I
> think it was) Hot Plug.  After agreeing to "fix" the system with this
> Hot Plug I rebooted the machine.  During the boot process it came to a
> message about Hot Plug, paused a minute, gave a message about not
> being able to start it, and then self rebooted the machine.  This
> repeated a couple times and I finally just reinstalled the OS.
>
> OK, maybe its because I'm a gluten for punishment, but I really want
> to try enabling 3D Acceleration again.  If I get into the same issue
> as before, what file do I edit to turn off 3D Acceleration?   What
> should I look for in this file?

I went to the Matrox site and downloaded and installed the beta
drivers.  Tempting fate I went ahead and enabled 3D Acceleration but
didn't test the config, just saved it.  The screen savers now zip right
along, but I still can't play tux racer.  When I go to run tux racer I
get a black screen with bold red letters in the middle stating that the
signal frequency is out of range.

Signal frequency is out of range
FH: 28 kHz  FV: 57 Hz
Please change signal timing

FWIW I checked the SuSE supported hardware site and the Matrox G450 is
listed as fully supported.  From what I can tell the past couple of
days, its anything but fully supported.  I wonder why it wasn't
identified during the install?  At this point I guess I'm satisfied as I
don't really want to play tux racer, I just wanted to use it as a rough
gauge of how well 3D was working.

Cheers,
Gary