[lug] OT: what's the latest virus circulating?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Nov 18 14:56:08 MST 2003

I'm curious if anyone knows what the latest "gift that keeps
giving" from Uncle Bill is.  At the current rate I'll soon be
rejecting ~100 messages with executable attachments (usually .exe)
every day -- and that's *after* the messages pass the gauntlet of
technical and RBL checks.  I'm also seeing a slew of empty ("this
message contained a virus and we've stripped it, but sent you this
notice anyway just to annoy you") messages.

At least one ISP got it right - it said that the receiver should
simply reply to the message if they weren't expecting an
executable attachment - the response would go to the abuse team
and they would (in theory) help the user clear their infection.

Meanwhile, to bring this remotely back on topic I have to
recommend again configuring "header checks" in Postfix so it
rejects any message containing a MIME-encoded executable
attachment.  It's not perfect, but as I said it's knocking out a
lot of viral messages.