[lug] Migration

hugh at math.byu.edu hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Nov 19 04:18:14 MST 2003

> Does anybody have some sound advice on performing a smooth migration
> from sendmail to either procmail or exim on a server? There are a lot
> (70+) users and I don't want to lose any mail.

Regardless of your ultimate MTA, I'd make sure you have a secondary mail
server that will receive mail and forward it to the primary mail server
(add another higher MX record in DNS and configure the other mail server
to forward to the primary mail server) before you go about migrating.

I'd also recommend having your new MTA preconfigured, tested, ready to
drop in (and an exit plan if it fails) before making the migration.

FWIW,

Hugh