[lug] rpmbuild error for binary packaging

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Nov 19 07:34:15 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 05:26, hugh at math.byu.edu wrote:
> > error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
> >    /debugfiles.list
> >    /debugsources.list
> >
> > RPM build errors:
> >     Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
> >    /debugfiles.list
> >    /debugsources.list
> >
> This means that the files were created in the build process but not
> included in the package.  So, you can either include them in the package
> or delete them before you get to the %files portion in the spec file.

I had to dig pretty hard, but I finally found out what the problem was.
It turns out that these particular files are created by new macros in
the RPM macros file (/usr/lib/rpm/macros).  You have to manually disable
the macros and some %defined values to keep them from being built, plus
the above error message is now fatal (as of RPM 4.1 I believe) and, if
the unpackaged files won't cause you any grief, you have to manually
disable this as well.  I disabled both, but disabling either would have
gotten me past the problem.

> > %build
> > touch /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/%{name}-%{version}/debugfiles.list
> > touch /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/%{name}-%{version}/debugsources.list
> > echo
>
> You have created the above two files and need to include them in the
> %files directive.  You might try creating them as
> %{BuildRoot}/usr/local/share/mythtv/debug....list  and then they should
> get picked up by what's below.

That was my first impression, but it turns out the debug directories and
files are produced by rpm itself.  Too bad this isn't clearly
documented.  I had to dig on google for quite some time to find the
answer.

Thanks anyway.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com