[lug] Linux NFS server, Solaris client

billjorg at qwest.net billjorg at qwest.net
Fri Nov 21 13:07:08 MST 2003

I am running out of ideas of why this doesn't work..

- All the appropriate daemons on solaris are running..
- Other linux machines can mount the linux nfs shares
- Solaris can nfs mount other Solaris machines.

I get a 'Permission Denied' Error when trying to mount linux-based nfs
shares.

This error message can imply a long list of things to check.

Dig deeper.
1.) Is this automounted or a manual mount?
2.) Is there a typo in the hostname of any of the path?
3.) What is your name lookup order? Do you need a FQ path?
4.) Manual mounts work or no?
5.) Anything within the system log files?
6.) NFS version issue? Most OS's come wrapped with ver3 (tcp) vs. ver2
(udp).

Those questions keep me busy during nfs issues.

I have this problem on two solaris machines.. one was just upgraded to
Solaris 9.. the other is running Solaris 7.

1.) Only two? How are they shared out? Any restrictions to what host can
mount or not?
2.) Sol9 should not impact the mounting/sharing. Pretty standard for the OS
regardless of version (post 2.5.1)

Good luck,

Bill