[lug] Somewhat OT: Types of list email

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Nov 24 21:22:24 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 21:58, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'd like some input on a project.  The goal of my project (for my
> thesis, actually) is to make a summarizer for high-traffic email

Hi Chris,

Wow, good luck with what sounds like a fascinating (and difficult)
task.  I think the older I get, the more I appreciate our human ability
to parse English (or any human language).  Anyway, you have my
permission to use any/all of my emails on the LUG lists (including
future emails) for your study.

As I'm sure lots of other people have noticed, the actual subject (not
just the "Subject:" header) of many email-list threads tend to drift.
So while the Subject: header may stay more-or-less the same, the real
topic(s) discussed can change dramatically over just a few emails.  Are
you going to tackle this "drift" issue?

Just curious!  And again, good luck!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com