[lug] Communigate Pro anyone

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 25 09:23:00 MST 2003

Matt Clauson wrote:

> Used to work with it several jobs ago.  Web control interface, fairly
> slick...  But I still don't honestly see the point of paying for a
> mailserver.

Agreed with Matt on this one... there were only two features that looked
interesting to me...

One was that it supposedly will do Calendaring for MS client users.

The other was the "dynamic clustering" they claim to have -- multiple
servers doing the mail and if a box fails, life goes on.

Check out www.qmailrocks.org for a step-by-step site on how to do build
a qmail server with almost all of the goodies mentioned.  One major
missing piece on qmailrocks' site is SSL tunnels, but stunnel can handle
that part as a bolt-on.  In fact I'm sure the site owner would accept
any and all help to continue to update the document there, but it's
pretty good right now.

I've been a dyed-in-the-wool exim fan for a number of years now, but
having recently had to admin two different qmail boxes, I've definitely
warmed up to its flexibility, etc.  Some don't like Dan Bernstein's
licensing (no binary distribution without permission) for his software
(qmail, djbdns, etc...) but I must admit that qmail really gets the job
done on very busy servers...

Nate, nate at natetech.com