[lug] bad refresh going back to text mode from X on laptop.

D. Frye dafr at peakpeak.com
Tue Nov 25 10:53:27 MST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:20:29AM -0700, Brian Jarrett wrote:
} Hello,
}
} I have a problem after shutting down X on my laptop.  The text mode refresh rate must get reset to something bad so I can't read anything in text mode.  I just have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and wait for it to reboot.  I have my laptop startup in runlevel 3, so I know it's capable.
}
} I've got a MicroPro laptop made by UniWill (almost identical to the N351S4) that has an NVidia GeForce 440 64Mb video card.  The display is capable of 1400x1050 (this is what I have X running).  Right now I have Mandrake 9.2 on it, but I've also had Gentoo 1.4 and Krud 9 installed, and nothing has worked.
}
} Is this a display driver problem, or is there something else I can set to prevent this?  I've seen some discussions on using fbset, but I get ioctrl errors and I've also seen some mention of SVGATextMode.
}
} Can anyone point me in the proper direction?
}
} Thanks,
} Brian

Have you considered booting Knoppix and then running an init 3 to see
what happens? Would be a test that might eliminate / point you hardware.
Sounds like a driver issue, but I don't know a lot about the newer video
cards either.

David

--

D. Frye