[lug] OT curious about information infrastructure of telephone number portability

Wagner, Carl Carl.Wagner at Level3.com
Wed Nov 26 09:31:21 MST 2003

Most of the technology has existed for several years.  The recent thing
with cell phone portability is just a slight variation on LNP (local number
portability).  I think the telecom act of 96 mandated LNP.  The NPAC (Number
Portability Administration Center) contains the database of the ported numbers.
NeuStar is the current NPAC.
See www.npac.com

You get all sorts of strange hits to a google search for LNP.

Carl.

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-admin at lug.boulder.co.us [mailto:lug-admin at lug.boulder.co.us]On
Behalf Of Paul E Condon
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 9:15 AM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: [lug] OT curious about information infrastructure of telephone
number portability

I'm curious about the infrastructure of telephone number portability.
It seems to me that for the phone number to work with the new service
provider there will have to be some way of dynamically routing each
call from the old service provider to the new service provider. And,
with roaming, from any service provider to any other telephone service
provider. How is this to be done? Are there businesses that sell this
service to the telephone companies? Is there an industry association
that provides this service? How?

The reason I'm asking is that I see an interesting social issue that I
have not seen discussed. Can the database be expanded to become a
system of universal personal identification? Is this a 'good' or a
'bad' thing? Etc.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com