[lug] bad refresh going back to text mode from X on laptop.

Brian Jarrett bjarrett at garcoschools.org
Wed Nov 26 11:27:46 MST 2003

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I tried knoppix as was suggested earlier, and there was no difference in the behavior.

I'm not an expert on it, but I believe Mandrake (at least) by default uses a framebuffer.  My LILO bootloader gives me the options of "linux" or "linux-nonfb" and when I get to the login with just "linux" (runlevel 3) I get a text screen with a graphical background that has "9.2" in transparent white at the lower-right corner.  I also tried loading with "linux non-fb", logged in, ran "startx" and then logged out of the kde session and got the same problem.  So even without using the framebuffer on startup, I can't get out of my X session with a readable console.

I'm not familiar with how to launch items on shutdown of X.  I've been using "startx" to launch my X session.  I also tried just running "kde" and got slightly different results when leaving the X session.  The screen went black and out of sync again, but when I hit "ctrl-alt-del" to reboot, the background appeared to switch to blue as it went through shutdown and then the machine rebooted.  Could it have switched back to a framebuffer for shutdown?

I guess I'll try looking into how the framebuffer is launched and what can be done on startup and shutdown of an X session.  I've never delved into this before.

It seems odd to me that this sort of problem isn't already documented somewhere.  I would think it would happen quite often on laptops.

Brian