[lug] RE: bad refresh going back to text mode from X on laptop. (Brian Jarrett)

Phil Rasch pjr at phaedrus.cgd.ucar.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:29:16 MST 2003

> I guess I'll try looking into how the framebuffer is launched and what =
> can be done on startup and shutdown of an X session.  I've never delved =
> into this before.
>
> >=20
> > Do you use the framebuffer for textmode before you load X?=20
> > You may try=20
> > using it, and setting up X to invoke a short script which resets your=20
> > framebuffer to a known working mode.  Try playing with the console fb=20
> > options and settings to get something that works for you, then stick=20
> > those settings in a script that is run as X exits.
> >=20
> > -Jason

As I get a better idea of what your problem is other ideas occur.

You might check out the svgalib utilities (I think apt-get svgalib-bin
will fetch them on a debian machine)

There are tools savetextmode and restoretextmode that you could use
prior to switching to X and after returning that might help.

phil

--
Phil Rasch, Climate Modeling Section, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Mail     --> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307