[lug] hp laptops

P. Scott DeVos scott at savingtree.com
Tue Dec 2 10:54:43 MST 2003

Alex Olivas wrote:
> i'm thinking about getting a hp laptop soon and was wondering if anyone
> knew of any problems
> nightmare on their desktops.
> something about needing hp drivers for everything and of course they had
> none for linux.

I was able to install KRUD 9.0 on an HP Pavilion.  It worked fine except
the Pavilion only understands ACPI and not APM so I had to recompile a
kernel to get battery indicators and the such.  No driver problems
what-so-ever.

> aside from this does anyone know about the general quality of hp
> pavilions?

The one I used was a low end Pavilion purchased about 6 months ago.  To
save money they removed some standard items--no serial port and no PS/2
port--only usb. To get around these problems, I also purchased the
following:

iogear GUC10KM USB/dual PS/2 adapter
Belkin F5U109 USB/Serial adapter

Which both worked great with a stock KRUD kernel.

Quality-wise:  The left pad button no longer works, but I use pad taps
instead and that works great.  Under linux I never had this problem, but
  my customer asked me to put Windows back onto the machine and now I
periodically get a problem on boot saying that it can't find a file.
Ctl-Alt-Del usually fixes the problem.  The whole thing just feels
cheap!  But, of course, it was!

   i've had a hard time