[lug] Re: hp laptops

Volker Ebbert volker.ebbert at colorado.edu
Tue Dec 2 12:33:12 MST 2003

Alex Olivas wrote:

> i'm thinking about getting a hp laptop soon and was wondering if anyone
> knew of any problems
> nightmare on their desktops.
> something about needing hp drivers for everything and of course they had
> none for linux.

I run PL 9.5 on my HP Pavilion N5425 and it runs fine on it.  As Scott mentioned the laptop might
only understands ACPI and not APM, so running it from battery might be not a good idea.  You might have trouble to use your modem.  Everything else works fine.

> aside from this does anyone know about the general quality of hp
> pavilions?

I bought mine 2 years ago and I commute by bike to work taking it with me in a backpack and it still works fine.

> i've had a hard time
> finding any product reviews.
> thanks,
> alex.