[lug] Apache proxy weirdness

Michael Wegener mwegener at knowledgefactor.com
Thu Dec 4 13:13:16 MST 2003

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on this list for a long time, but am finally back on the
workforce and happily working in a Linux shop.

I hope this question is not off topic, but we are serving a web application
from Apache 1.3.26 on a 2.4.2-2 kernel. The problem is, we seem to be
serving proxy requests, even though I do not explicitly load mod_proxy (must
be built-in -- before my time) and I have explicitly turned off
ProxyRequests (which is what all docs I can find say to do) and restarted
Apache. We used to get just a trickle of these, but thanks to the porn
industry finding us, we're now cranking through to the tune of ~2M/hr of log
entries.

Is this a bug? Can mod_proxy be built-in where it can't be turned off? Could
there be a back-door of some kind? Seems hard to believe that one...

I guess I can try upgrading, but I know 2.x would mean a non-trivial
re-configuration exercise and the present 1.x version out there is 1.3.29
which may not be worth the trouble. Has anybody seen this kind of behavior
and how do I shut it down?

Thanks,

--M
---