[lug] DHCP Question

Dan Ferris dan at ferrises.com
Fri Dec 5 14:12:02 MST 2003

Here is some interesting Questions.

Last night, I changed out our Microsoft Windows NT DHCP server for a
Linux DHCP server running ISC DHCPD.  This morning when I came in, about
a third of the company couldn't talk to the network because their DHCP
hadn't renewed with the new server.  They are all running some version
or another of Microsoft Winblows.

I always thought that it didn't matter what computer was a DHCP server
so long as you only had 1 per subnet.  Is this true?  The old server is
completely turned off and the service is set to manual.

Is Windows always stupid about DHCP, or is it just me?

Dan