[lug] DHCP Question

Gregory W. Seker sekerg at comcast.net
Sat Dec 6 07:39:32 MST 2003

You can try using the Windows ipconfig command line utility ... I know it is
available in XP ..
"ipconfig /registerdns" fixes these types of problems for me, but /release
and
/renew are also available.

c:\>ipconfig /?

USAGE:
    ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
              /flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
              /showclassid adapter |
              /setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
    adapter         Connection name
                   (wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

       /?           Display this help message
       /all         Display full configuration information.
       /release     Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
       /renew       Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
       /flushdns    Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
       /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
       /displaydns  Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
       /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
       /setclassid  Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

Examples:
    > ipconfig                   ... Show information.
    > ipconfig /all              ... Show detailed information
    > ipconfig /renew            ... renew all adapters
    > ipconfig /renew EL*        ... renew any connection that has its
                                     name starting with EL
    > ipconfig /release *Con*    ... release all matching connections,
                                     eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or
                                         "Local Area Connection 2"
---------------------------

FYI ... some other neat XP command line utilities I found out about on the
screen savers techtv show..
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3364544,00.html

My favorite:  "driverquery"

c:\>driverquery
Module Name  Display Name           Driver Type   Link Date
============ ====================== ============= ======================
ac97intc     Intel(r) 82801 Audio D Kernel        7/19/2001 6:43:40 PM
ACPI         Microsoft ACPI Driver  Kernel        8/29/2002 4:09:03 AM
ACPIEC       Microsoft Embedded Con Kernel        8/17/2001 4:57:55 PM
aec          Microsoft Kernel Acous Kernel        8/12/2002 1:54:24 PM
AFD          AFD Networking Support Kernel        8/29/2002 5:01:13 AM
AFS2K        AFS2k                  Kernel        12/13/2001 5:42:49 PM
agp440       Intel AGP Bus Filter   Kernel        8/17/2001 4:57:59 PM
AsyncMac     RAS Asynchronous Media Kernel        8/17/2001 4:55:29 PM

Enjoy,
Zeke