[lug] Microsoft charging fee for each digicam made

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Dec 6 18:55:45 MST 2003

* Hugh Brown (hugh at math.byu.edu) wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 15:57, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> > So now Microsoft starts charging for every digital camera made...
> > Maybe they
> > will also start charging for every hard drive or floppy disk made?
> >
> > See more info below,
> > Ferdinand

> > ---------
> >
> > Below article was taken from the home page of:
> > http://www.dpreview.com
> >

>  I find it interesting that MS is now using their patents to get
> revenue by litigation.

I don't.  They make plenty of revenue without patents.  They don't file
for them to protect a product -- their monopoly does that for them
better than anything else could.  The patents are gravy -- wait until FAT is
so widespread that people who had been using it for free can't imagine
switching.  THEN decide to enforce the patent and require licensing.
Just to add a little more gravy to the revenue stream, and also as an
anti-competitive cudgel.

Tim