[lug] Database design tools?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Dec 8 16:03:13 MST 2003

Michael Wegener wrote:
> At the risk of provoking the wrath of this list, I have often used M$ Access
> GUI design to hack tables and dependencies, then exported to text to make
> real SQL DDL.

That's why I tried to downplay this issue a bit - our primary
document is and will remain the java source.  We really don't care
how our object persistence tool maps objects to the underlying
datastore as long as it does the job.

Fortunately hibernate is pretty intuitive with how it does the
mapping and xdoclet allows us to specify sqlish names so the
standard database tools will still make sense... but everything
has to be driven by the Java source.

Bear