[lug] Linux for my Dad?

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 10:24:22 MST 2003

My father is looking to replace a VERY old computer with a newer model, but
doesn't want to spend much money on it, since he only uses it for solitaire,
e-mail, and occasional web-surfing (at 56K).  He's been looking at the
WalMart computers ($200 - $400) that come with your choice of Lycoris or
Lindows.  I have no experience with either.  Dad's not a computer geek like
me, he just wants to plug it in and use it, without worrying about
configuring much of anything.  He lives out of state, so I can't help him
much if he gets stuck.

Does anyone out there have any experience with Lycoris or Lindows, or
Wal-Mart PC's in general?  Or should I just mail him a Windoze Millenium CD,
and walk him through an install of that?  It seems that Wal-Mart has been
selling Linux PC's for well over a year now, so maybe it's really working
for the Average Joe?
--
John D