[lug] kpilot and Zire 21

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 14:24:43 MST 2003

Elizabeth O. Coolbaugh wrote:

> Thanks, Michael.  Jon gave me a hint and I got the USB ports up with:
>
> 	modprobe usb-uhci
>
> and I found the proper device names:
>
>         /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
> 	/dev/usb/ttyUSB1
>
> Unfortunately, KRUD 8.0 doesn't seem to recognize my Palm.
>
> Dec 16 14:21:49 jelly /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB
> product 0/0/0

I'm no expert at USB, but perhaps this will help. USB is a hot-plug
layer on top of the kernel. Having ttyUSB0 and 1 means hot-plug is
working. But you still need a specification of what to do when a
particular hardware type is plugged in or removed. My only experience
with this so far has been with mice on a laptop (not my laptop). My
mouse was not listed or recognized, but I found another mouse that was
basically the same hardware, and edited its plugin config...the USB
mouse then worked great.

If you go to /etc/hotplug/, you will find a set of files. As a
subdirectory to hotplug, you will find "usb" (PCI devices and USB are
actually quite similar in logic...most PCI though would be destroyed by
inserting them or removing them while power is up). In that usb
subdirectory you might find a file to look at to figure out how to set
up your USB device. Depending on what you have installed, you might have
a lot of USB hotplug devices defined, or just 1 or none. It shares a lot
of similarity with init scripts.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net