[lug] grub.conf missing

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu Dec 18 14:40:50 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 14:25, John Hernandez wrote:
> After removing an older kernel rpm (keeping only a couple of newer
> kernels) on my RH 9 system, I'm accidentally left with a blank
> /boot/grub/grub.conf  !@?  I've never wrapped my brain around Grub, and
> I'm hoping someone can help me reconstruct a working boot configuration
>   without my having to go find backup tapes.
>
> I'd like to boot:
>
> Linux from /dev/hdb1
> DOS from /dev/hda1
>
> What's the easiest way to do this from scratch with Grub?

Hmm...grub.conf should look like (using the correct kernel which I don't
know since I have Fedora Core 1, not RH 9):

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Redhat
   root (hd1,0)
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.whatever ro root=LABEL=/ hd?=ide-scsi
   initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.whatever.img
title Windows XP
   rootnoverify (hd0,0)
   chainloader +1

I think.  List:  what'd I get wrong?  Is there a #boot line needed?

--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!
 Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/