[lug] grub.conf missing

Jani Averbach jaa at jaa.iki.fi
Thu Dec 18 14:50:20 MST 2003

On 2003-12-18 14:25-0700, John Hernandez wrote:
> After removing an older kernel rpm (keeping only a couple of newer
> kernels) on my RH 9 system, I'm accidentally left with a blank
> /boot/grub/grub.conf  !@?  I've never wrapped my brain around Grub, and
> I'm hoping someone can help me reconstruct a working boot configuration
>  without my having to go find backup tapes.
>
> I'd like to boot:
>
> Linux from /dev/hdb1
> DOS from /dev/hda1
>
> What's the easiest way to do this from scratch with Grub?

Start from here, there is example configuration.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Configuration.html#Configuration

After that you can start mess with just plain grub prompt, and find
out sequence of commands which will work for you. I would say that
grub's command prompt is insanely powerfull for to be a boot loader.
For linux you are interested:
root(...) == grub root,
kernel ... == where is your kernel, and it's parameters
initrd ... use that if you are using initrd
boot  ... to louch actual boot process (from command line)

For dos, I could not help so much, but there is few examples to
chain load windows.

First you however have to find where your /boot/grub is located and
set 'root' accordingly [try 'root(hd1,0)' ], or you could just set it to
something, and after that type (in grub prompt)
cat /
and hit tab few times and you will see files in current root and
figure out if it is correct root or not.

Have fun, =)
Jani

--
Jani Averbach