[lug] Question on allowable posts to BLUG

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Dec 19 09:41:33 MST 2003

Don't shoot the messenger.  I do not think that every Microsoft
employee is
bad.  Most people in the workforce need to feed a family, pay rent, ...
And
a Microsoft job helps pay the bills.

Most corporations that I am aware of are trying to become so dominant
in their
industry that they effectively present a monopoly.  Look at Symantec
buying
out Powerquest - no more competition to Ghost now!  Qualcomm is trying
convince the world to run all cell phones on their patented technology;
Frauenhofer owns the patent to MP3, which is as much a monopoly as M$
patents (I would love to see an IPod play ogg-vorbis songs).  See my
point ;)

So I would politely state that we generally don't make this list
available for
marketing or market research purposes.  I don't think we would want to
see a
flurry of surveys from M$, Sun, Dell, ...

Linux history is a story of a peaceful revolution.  Let's keep it that
way.

Ferdinand

--On Friday, December 19, 2003 06:45:05 AM -0700 Rob Nagler