[lug] Question on allowable posts to BLUG

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Fri Dec 19 11:56:42 MST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:27:03AM -0700, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> Being thoroughly indecisive as usual, I'd like to ask folks for advice
> on how to handle the following request I got off-list.  I'm bringing
> it on the list specifically to get opinions on how to answer these in
> the future (this isn't the first mail of this variety I've received,
> by the way.)

So long as M$ vilifies Linux, then absolutely not.  If a dog
bites you every time it sees you, then one day wags its tail
when it first gets sight of you, would you go pet the dog
knowing you're about to be bit again?  No.

M$ has long taken ideas from the Linux community, even if
they don't admit it publicly.  But until they drop their
linux-is-the-devil campaign, there is no reason for us to
help them.

On the subject of market research....I for one see a huge
difference between a software company asking for technical
input and a hardware company asking what would sell more
computers.  The later is never acceptable on a list like
this.  The former could be acceptable in the right
circumstances (which this is not).

--David