[lug] floppy install images

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Sat Dec 20 12:44:51 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 09:51, Hugh Brown wrote:
> I have a new laptop that has an ntfs partition on it that I need to
> shrink (so I can put Linux on it).  I have two boot floppies but no
> floppy drive.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to take the two floppy images, make them into
> one 2.88 image and put it on cdr (as the boot image)?

Well, if they were split using "split" the unsplit method is usually
cat.  So, you *should* be able to do:

cat floppy1.img floppy2.img > big.img

and the it should be one big image that could be burned to a mini-cd or
the like.  I think.

I suppose try cat'ing the two images together and do a test mount with
loop:

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 big.img /dev/cdrom

If that looks OK, it should burn well.

Note, though, I have no idea if this works.  I'm just talking off the
top of my head.

Matt
--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!