[lug] DVD Burner Recommendations

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Dec 23 22:06:33 MST 2003

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Lately I've seen CD burners for $20 at Office Depot and other fine
> retailers, but I use mine for critical data backups and there's no way
> I'd want to trust that function to a white-label brand (you mentioned
> CompUSA, for example).

I would expect the media to be much more critical than the burner.
Cheap media might not last a year even if written by an excellent
burner.

Meanwhile your backups can eliminate a lot of risk by generating
an MD5SUMS file as the last step before calling mkisofs, then
verifying it once the disk is burned.  It takes a few minutes, but
eliminates nasty surprises.

The command to generate the file is to cd into the root of the
image and run

  $ find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum |\
      sort --key=2 > MD5SUMS

to get a pretty list with sorted entries in each subdirectory.

Finally I've seen some really bad advice to do backups by running
mkisofs on a live directory.  This is risky - the ISO9660 FS has a
limited filename length and < 1024 entries per subdirectory, and a
number of my directories violate both restrictions.  (Gotta love JFS!)

Bear