[lug] Kernel options for large file support?

Michael Kahn mkahn at fast-track.com
Fri Dec 26 17:06:39 MST 2003

I need to create a 2.4 kernel that has large file support for files > 2.0G.
I can't seem to find which set of kernel options give me this capability.

I am using Mandrake 9.2 out of the box which uses kernel 2.4.22.
Neither the stock MD 9.2 kernel nor the various "flavors" of alternate kernels
("enterprise", "multimedia") provide large file support.

There are some patches at www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html that add
large file support (LFS) to 2.2 kernels but I cannot find anything that refers/works
on 2.4 kernels. Various google postings seem to imply that large file support
is now part of 2.4 kernels but I can't figure out the combination of kernel options
that enable this capability.

Thanks for any pointers that work with 2.4-based kernels.

Michael Kahn
mkahn at fast-track.com